Synthesizer Discussion

nordic fox

Synthesizer Discussion

Postby nordic fox » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured on the old JE board we had the section for discussion of equipment (The Envelopes Brigade?) so I'm starting a thread to do the same.

Personally I've been thinking about getting a Moog Subsequent 37 (or a used Sub 37). I've never had a "real" Moog – I had a Realistic Concertmate MG-1 for a short time, but didn't really get into it. I'd be selling off my SH-101 and BassStation II to fund it.

Does anyone have experience with the Sub 37? I know most people on here are probably mostly using vintage equipment, but figured I'd ask, and of course open a topic for discussion (whether about the Sub 37 or any other peice of equipment). Hoping to get up to Fort Wayne and just fiddle around with one at Sweetwater, but haven't had the time lately.
nordic fox

Re: Synthesizer Discussion

Postby nordic fox » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Well, I did it. Sold my SH-101 and Bass Station II last Friday, and just placed an order for the Subsequent 37 from Sweetwater (because it's almost like shopping local for me), though I had to have it shipped as I don't have time to drive up there in back in the snow...especially when shipping is free.

Watching videos online I prefer the sound of the Moog Mother-32, but I have no desire to go modular. And I don't have a synth I wanted to use as a controller for it...and I really would prefer to have a keyboard. I also like the sound of the Roland SE-02 quite a bit. But don't want tiny knobs...and same issue as far as keyboard, the boutique series keyboard isn't my thing. Not a lot of videos of the Subsequent 37 out there (mostly Sub 37, but since they do not sound identical, that's not terribly helpful), and many are not really stylistically related to my taste.

Anyway, I played around on one in the retail store a week or so ago (before selling the other synths). Not really long enough to get into it at all...just some basic functions and hearing presets.

But playing it in person I thought it was promising, as many presets sound pretty good (to my ears anyway). I'm no expert though. The number of knobs on the Subsequent 37 and the keyboard were huge factors for me. Of course having "Monosynth" pounded into my head for years, I've never cared much about polyphony, but the para/duophonic capability seems like it might come in handy.

Feels weird paying that much for a non-vintage synth. Feels kind of stupid as well, as I have never really made any music with a synthesizer...I'm just a dreamer, not much of a doer in that area. Hopefully I'll start changing that.

I've mostly been a Roland guy. Even though I've wanted a Moog Prodigy since...well, since seeing Ronnie play one in the Burgundy Years video, and pictured on Robot Rock. Nothing to do with the sound, I just wanted it based on looks and the fact that Ronnie had it. That said, I like the wood sides and black face of the Subsequent 37 (and Sub 37). I do wish the back was black rather than aluminum, but such is life. Hopefully I'll get some use out of it, not just stare at it.
upnadam

Postby upnadam » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm

nordic fox wrote:I just wanted it based on looks and the fact that Ronnie had it.

I feel this so much.

-

I am SO NEW to playing around with synths. I got a Stylophone Gen X-1 for Christmas this year and I'm having a ton of fun figuring out which knobs do what (again, I am SO NEW to this) but I'm itching to play around with a real synth. I've never been to Sweetwater; are they only in Fort Wayne or is it a chain?
IanTheBlueMan

Postby IanTheBlueMan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:09 pm

nordic fox wrote:Even though I've wanted a Moog Prodigy since...well, since seeing Ronnie play one in the Burgundy Years video, and pictured on Robot Rock. Nothing to do with the sound, I just wanted it based on looks and the fact that Ronnie had it.

There's a Prodigy on eBay currently going for a little over $305!
david

Postby david » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 pm

IanTheBlueMan wrote:There's a Prodigy on eBay currently going for a little over $305!

Well...being ebay and being a standard auction, it doesn't look like it'll actually sell for that price. Are you sure it's not your auction and this wasn't just a clever ploy to drive traffic/bids its way? ;)
Rogue

Postby Rogue » Sun May 20, 2018 9:40 pm

I haven't been in here in a while. I was going to upload some Promise Book scans but never installed the FTP software :oops: I've been so busy...

I've only kept my Rogue Moog, two Moogerfoogers, and Casio RZ-1 drum machine. I haven't touched them in years, and considered many times selling them. I think the last time I pulled the Rogue out of its case, the sound was fading down & up in volume. I'm not sure if that's something really bad (chip inside?) or not, but it disheartened me to hear that. It was in such good condition ever since I bought it.
nordic fox

Postby nordic fox » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:48 pm

I realize this forum is currently on its last legs, but oh well.

Haven't played my Subsequent 37 nearly enough, but it is nice. I have a bit of a love/hate thing with presets (which I'm guessing many others do as well). In theory, it's nice to have presets. In practice I hate that the knobs aren't necessarily reflective of the sound. I do like that there is a panel mode though. Of course, still a few things in the menu...but overall...it's nice and solid. Need to get myself some reverb to run it through though.

I wish the Moog Grandmother had been released or at least announced before I bought the Subsequent 37. I'd have probably bought that instead. :|

I recently pulled the trigger on a Behringer Model D. There was a deal bundled with some AKG K240's (at no extra cost) with free shipping and a discount code for another $15 off. So how could I pass up having Model D sound for under $300 and free headphones? Haven't played it other than to ensure it was functioning...as it is to be a Christmas present (surprise!)...

Maybe in 2019 I'll spend some time actually playing these things. :oops:
Electrojo

Postby Electrojo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:34 am

synthesizers aren't cool anymore. most cool people just play ukulele these days

Return to “Plastiq Musiq”