Said Fantasy - Carols Gloria

nordic fox

Said Fantasy - Carols Gloria

Postby nordic fox » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Anyone pre-order the Christmas album?

It says it ships in early December...so hopefully soon and in time to enjoy before Christmas?

I also had seen something on PQMQ about an ornament...but I'm not seeing it now.

Bummer about the old forums.
Rogue

Re: Said Fantasy - Carols Gloria

Postby Rogue » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:46 pm

I preordered it, and got an email today with a download code. I've only listened to two songs so far but I love it! The two songs I heard are Instrumentals (track 1 and 4). It almost sounds like Jacob Graham influenced Ronnie Martin a bit ;) I hear a touch of Promise Book and Cascading Slopes.
nordic fox

Postby nordic fox » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Yeah, mine took a little while to download (my internet hasn't joined the 2000's, let alone 2017 (ie I'm lucky to get about 1mbps download speed).

So, just finished track 1. Definitely gives a Promise Book feel, which is quite fitting for Christmas music I'd say. Reverb-heavy. I approve.

I've always been a big fan of Jacob's synth-work, as I know you are as well. (assuming you're the same Rogue from the old boards. If it helps, I think my old JE board name was squall, real name Bryan). Looking forward to the new Cascading Slopes...whenever it makes it out.

EDIT: Seriously, did Jacob do some synth on this? I swear there are bits (right now listening to the song Carols Gloria) that sound like they came straight out of the Secret Forest. ;)

EDIT #2: I think the song that Carols Gloria really invokes memory of for me is "Forever" by Polaris. Of course, still Jacob, and really the main thing is just that the sound is reminiscent of his music in general.
Last edited by nordic fox on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
upnadam

Postby upnadam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 pm

I preordered a physical copy, but I got my download code and just finished my first listen.

Initial reaction: I'm pleasantly surprised by the cohesiveness of it. An EP rarely has such a flow (though Ronnie has always been an exception in that department; Old Wives Tales and Curiosities And Such are two of my favorite EP releases by any artist ever) and the fact that this is two instrumentals, an original, and two more instrumentals gives it a great sort of "approach, experience, depart" journey. I suppose I was expecting more of a traditional Christmas release, where the songs are entirely individual and lack any sort of necessary order and it's all just trying to cram in as much Christmas-ness as possible, but I'm thrilled that this is such an intentional (and, as strange as this may sound, classy) effort.

Stylistically, I'm loving Said Fantasy as a project. With the two releases we have so far, it feels like Ronnie has finally found the minimalist sound he's been searching for all these years, so instead of it feeling like an experiment within another project, it feels like we have an artist who has confidently crafted a sound specific to this name. I'm sure I'll write more about this in the Chariot of God thread (which I finally got a proper chance to listen to last night, leaving me brimming with thoughts) but honestly it's so refreshing to hear another (well, two) proper artistic effort from him. There are some fantastic electronic music makers out there, but none quite like Ronnie Martin.
Rogue

Postby Rogue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:34 am

Yes that's me, the same Rogue ;) I saw your other post about the Promise Book cover. I've got it, just need to dig it out & scan. Then figure out how to post it since Photobucket went down the toilet :?
nordic fox

Postby nordic fox » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks man. Worse comes to worse, I can just scan the one I have and just use Photoshop to edit out the pee color/wrinkles. LOL.
pqmq
Site Admin

Postby pqmq » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am

This got me thinking and so I just added a little FTP spot to the Plastiq site. This way we can upload files and not have to worry about finding some free hosting spot that won't decide to make everyone sign up for a paid account or else they'll delete the files. Anyway, if you want the login details and all that, just PM me. Obviously we want to keep the account sort of secret so that it doesn't fall into the hands of evil bots, but I set it up as something that we can share.

In addition to solving the problem of hosting, it can also be sort of an insider's club. I imagine some folks have a few rarities out there. I already uploaded a few.
nordic fox

Postby nordic fox » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:22 am

I'm loving this album.

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" has never been a favorite carol of mine. This version gives me chills/goosebumps/whatever you want to say. It's moving.
raybobindustries

Postby raybobindustries » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 pm

What a pleasant Christmas surprise! It's a delightfully charming album. Wonderful.

Return to “Joy Electric/Said Fantasy”